Coordinator, ConstructionGuilford Technical Community College
The individual in this full-time position reports to the Associate VP Facility Operations and Safety. S/he helps develop and review construction project plans and specifications. S/he attends pre-bid and pre-construction conferences, bid openings and monthly meetings during construction. Responsibilities include observation and inspection of construction activities, and preparation of reports and correspondence with architects, designers, and contractors. S/he serves as liaison between college employees who will occupy the completed projects and the architect and contractors. S/he monitors project timetables and quality of work, identifies potential problems and keeps the AVP informed of project status. S/he offers possible solutions to construction issues and prepares project cost estimates as requested. S/he oversees construction/renovation projects managed in-house. S/he reviews test reports and advises AVP of the results. S/he assists on pre-final and final inspections. S/he will be based at the Jamestown Campus with responsibilities at the Greensboro, High Point, Cameron and Aviation Campuses as required.
• Acts as liaison between the College and architects, designers, contractors and vendors for construction projects.
• Creates construction timetable for in-house construction projects. Monitors timetables prepared by prime contractors for other capital projects. Makes recommendations to keep projects on schedule and implements action to correct deficiencies as needed.
• Interacts with faculty and staff to develop design criteria for construction projects.
• Acts as construction planner/designer for space utilization. Develops all plans, specifications and documents for small construction projects as assigned.
• Coordinates construction activities for assigned in-house construction projects.
• Provides value-added engineering and develops budgets for assigned construction projects.
• Inspects construction projects and prepares reports as required to assure compliance with all plans and specifications for all construction projects. Places prime contractors on notice if the execution of tasks is in direct conflict with the contract documents and/or life safety codes of state and county regulatory bodies. Works through proper communication channels to execute correction of deficiencies.
• Interprets rules and regulations of regulatory agencies and governing bodies. This includes ADA, fire protection, national electrical codes, and NC State Construction Office.
• Presents documents/contracts/correspondence for construction projects to Administrative area for inclusion with project files in an orderly and timely manner.
• Keep AVP advised of progress and development of construction projects.
• Maintains a log of shop drawings and submittals to monitor approval status of all products and fabricated materials required by contract for submission to the college and/or designer for review during the construction phase of projects. Reviews this log and the project timetable with the AVP regularly to assure timely completion of projects.
• Represents the College at construction progress meetings required by the construction documents to communicate GTCC’s interest in project activities and completion.
• Reviews plans and specifications developed by project designers.
• Reviews project review comments (by staff or State Construction Office as required) and responds as authorized by the AVP.
• Conducts final inspections (including with State Construction Office as required).
• Secures closeout packages from prime contractors and designers.
• Coordinates training sessions for college staff for new apparatus and equipment.
• Assists AVP in conducting interim and final contractor and designer evaluations.
• Reviews test reports and advises AVP of the results. Recommends corrective action as appropriate.
• Commute/travel using a fleet vehicle to project sites and other campuses on a daily basis to assess progress of projects.
• Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
• Maintaining effective communications between all stakeholders involved in a given project.
• Review and respond to all correspondence in a timely manner.
• Insure that AVP is kept fully informed of project progress, issues and potential negative impacts to schedule and/or budget.
• Maintaining documentation and project related information/materials in an organized and readily available manner.
• Effectively managing multiple priorities across multiple projects and stakeholders.
• AVP Facility Operations and Safety – Daily
• Construction Administrative support – Daily
• Stakeholders – Daily
• Physical Plant Director – Weekly
• Physical Plant Staff – Weekly
• Finance – Weekly
• Bachelor’s degree in construction management or related field from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution
• Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in construction management from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution
• Certified Construction Manager (CCM) certification
• Five (5) years relevant construction experience
• Seven (7+) years as a construction project manager for projects in excess of $1,000,000
• Experience with educational, state, or local government projects
• A preferred candidate would have the majority of this experience as a project manager in education, state or local government construction.
• Experience in a higher educational setting.
• Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to apply North Carolina building codes and applicable laws to construction projects.
• Demonstrated understanding of all phases of construction, including architectural and engineering design principles and testing procedures.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment to make decisions related to design, construction and renovation of buildings, including liability implications of those decisions.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact positively and effectively with college employees, designers, contractors, agents of local and state governing and regulatory bodies and vendors.
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
• Demonstrated proficiency with computers using the internet, word processing, spreadsheets, and e-mail.
• Knowledge and experience in the use of the NC State Construction Office Interscope plus Project Management system.
• Knowledge of and experience applying NC State Construction and Office and NC Community College System policies and procedures.
The following (compliance) training is required and must be completed within the first 30 days of hire with annual refresher training thereafter:
• Safety/Shooter on Campus
• Personal Information Protection Training (PIP)
• Anti-Discrimination/Harassment & Title IX
• Other training may be required as determined applicable.
• Training required in the use of the State Construction Office Interscope+ project management system.
• May be asked to work at times other than scheduled hours and on call when necessary.
• Valid North Carolina driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
Physical Activity: Long periods of standing and or walking
Environmental Hazard(s): 15-30%
Capable of climbing stairs and ladders